Friday, April 5, 2013

Back with Faith and Hope...

Hi all! I know That it has been forever since I have updated this blog and I apologize for that. As you know I went into rehab back in February. The honest truth is I became addicted to percocets and it was time to get help. For those of you who wrote to me. Unfortunately, I must have had the wrong address because I didn't get them but feel free to send them to me now.

When I first went to rehab, I thought "damn, I don't belong here. Everyone here are junkies and I'm not them". Needless to say, I quickly learned, I am them. I may not have had legal issues or court ordered to be in rehab, but what I learned is that addiction isn't the problem, it's dealing with your past and present issues are the problem.  I was lucky enough to have group therapy as well as 1-1. I Learned so much about myself and let me tell you, the people who were in treatment, looked just like you and I. Getting to know all these great people have kept me sober. The people who you think.ie, and can't be trusted are the people I now trust my life with. They are amazing. My support system is growing every day.

In rehab we work the 12 steps. I truly believe addiction or not, EVERY person should practice  the 12 step program. Right now, I am at step three. It could take months or even years to get to the12th step and I am okay with that. Everyday,I say from a great counselor I had, " another day clean and sober, I am blessed".  I want to share the first 3 steps I am working on, and I feel we all can relate this to our daily lives.

Step 1. We admitted we were powerless (fill in the blank of your problems in life) and that our lives have become in manageable. This is a hard step to understand. Think of a problem that you have a hard time fixing. Instead of having massive anxiety, notice that you are powerless about it and to let it go. I.E. Divorce. If your husband or wife files for divorce, the other partner should not blame the selves, but realize it is a situation that they are powerless over. It doesn't make you a bad person.

Step 2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
How many of us live in a state of insanity. I am pretty sure most of you will agree at least one part of your life is insane.  This step is that we believe there is so etching greater than ourselves out there. You do not have to be religious for this.  In recovery we call this "Higher Power". Your higher power is someone or something you can look to to keep you from making bad decisions. It could be your God or it could be nature, an animal, Anything that will keep you from making a bad decision.

Step 3. Made a decision to turn our will and lives over to the care of God " as we understood him".
Again people mistake this for a religious God. Your higher power may be God but it is noted in text as God as we understand him to be, aka your higher power. Again, these steps are to keep your life from being insane and how to handle making life easier.

These steps are in order for a reason. It takes time to really understand the steps and where you are at with your problems. Most important is t you do not have to do this alone.  It's really important to have a great support system. People you can call to let out frustrations.

I am excited to be back and I hope this helps. Any feedback would be great. Thank you for your continued support. Please Text me with any questions. Love you (215-272-7609)

No comments:

Post a Comment