Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Disease with no cure....

Good Morning!

I hope you all are doing well. I am getting better day by day. Having the disease of addiction is rough. There is no pill you can take to cure it, or even stop the thoughts of wanting to use. You see the thing your addicted to are not the problem. It's the underlying reasons that are. What scares me is that, while I was in treatment, I felt safe. I didn't have any ought a of using. I was surrounded by people who wanted together clean. But then I left treatment, and now it's time to face life head on.

Some of the things I have learned since leaving treatment, it to follow the steps and foot meetings. The 12 step program is something I feel EVERYONE should follow. It is written in such a way, that if you have any problems  you are struggling with, you can apply the 12 steps to your life. I suggest you google the steps and see for yourself.

There are many things you can do for your recovery to stay clean or help you with a problem you need to deal with. My first suggestion is to surround yourself with supportive, in my case, sober, and positive people. I am tired of apologizing for things I don't feel need an apology. You either have people who care about you or you don't. Again, I quote a counselor that I care about, "Bless them, Change me".

Another thing I am working on is structure and scheduling. I find it easier to live a happy life by keeping to a schedule. For instance, I refuse to sleep any later than having 8 hours of sleep and I try to be in bed by 11 at night. Also it's important to eat 3 full meals a day. I am struggling with this one. But I felt better after having a schedule of eating good food each day. It's also important to pray. Pray all day. If you aren't a religious person, that's fine. Just know ere is a power greater than yourself, that you can speak to to work on your problems.

Last of all, realize you are going to make mistakes know your not a saint. It's okay to fall down, it's getting back up that's the miracle. I have fallen many times, but with a positive attitude, you can do anything.

Well that's all I have for now. I wish everyone a happy day and thank you all for the support.

Sincerely,

Katie Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment