Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Focusing on All Illness not just 1

Good Evening,

I wanted to express some of the True or False Questions located in the BiPolar Workbook. Some of these questions seem obvious, but I am going to do 3 a day, and you can decide for yourselves.

1. Bipolar can cause both depression and mania?

TRUE. Most people who have bipolar disorder have episodes of depression and mania throughout their lives. Some may have more depression. Some may have more episodes of mania. Everyone's symptoms are a little different.

2. You can be depressed and manic at the same time?

TRUE. This is called a 'mixed' episode. During mixed episodes people can feel wound up, have racing thoughts and difficulty sitting still, as in mania, but feel down, hopeless, and suicidal, as in depression. Mixed states can also alternate quickly between depression and mania, each lasting only hours or a few days. They can be difficult to diagnose because they don't look like typical episodes of depression or mania.

3. Medications are necessary to control the symptoms of bipolar disorder

TRUE. Although  many people prefer to "tough it out" periods of depression and mania without medications, it's clear that control of the illness and prevention of future relapses depend on effective medication management. Most people prefer not to take medication and, in fact, have a lot of trouble sticking with a medication regimen for long periods of time.

These are taken from the "Bipolar Workbook". I understand many of you do not suffer from BiPolar. However, for those of you who do have it, I hope you understand that many of us suffer from many different types of disorders. To me depression is a disorder if it occurs on a somewhat regular basis it's something to discuss with a doctor. Sometimes a simple anti depression medication is all it takes.

I also am aware that some people are against taking medication and I get that. I am not trying to force medications down your throat. Sometimes, a simple yoga class, or a day at the gym or a good book can help. There are some natural supplements that can help as well. I found melatonin can help with sleeplessness, and Valeria for relaxation although it does have a really funky smell.

I am proud that people have taken interest in my blog. I write for therapy for myself, but also for the hope I can help at least one person out. I am starting to take some walks during the day, for me to think, figure out what the next step of my life will be and so on. I wish I could be like some of you with the ability to mediate and find a quiet place within yourself. That's something I am looking towards, and I look forward to seeing how all of you handle the new year.

This blog will not be completely about bipolar, although I know most of my blogs have been so. I have been studying other illness's that I can talk about to, because I feel, all of us share a little bit of everything. We all share moments of happiness and sadness. Days that are blah, days we are shy. Days we are outgoing and others we just want to stay inside.

Anyways, I hope you all have seen my new Facebook page that I am specifically saving for my blog post. I hope you all will join. It's something that I am looking forward to build. Thank you all. Your wonderful.

Sincerely,

Katie Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment