Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Friends Vs. Strangers

Good Afternoon,

Today I spoke with someone today who confided in me that its hard to express to friends the illness she has. I use the word illness, because those who have depression, bipolar, and such. It's something that I feel that everyone issues should be kept private and I have always promised confidentiality with everyone.

Many times when we get a diagnosis of whatever it might be even not a diagnosis, just something that we tend to talk to our friends. Friends are great. True friends try to put themselves in our shoes and try to give their opinion or offer how they can help. But it's difficult for them to really understand and for you to explain. That's why I feel it's best to talk to strangers or people who are going what your going through because sometimes they can give the best advice.

I know myself, it's difficult to put yourself out there. I HATE going to see therapists. I don't feel that they don't quite understand what's going on as much training as they have. That's my opinion. That's why I enjoy writing my blog. I am able to share what I am feeling and yet, although from the heart, it's up to those who read this, to see if they can share my experiences.

I am not saying friends aren't helpful. I can't tell you how many friends have spent hours on the phone while I cry over what seems to be nothing. Or those who have invited me to their homes and talked and hugged me. And let me tell you, I truly appreciate it.

So Friends Vs. Strangers. It's a decision for all of us to make. To me my blog is my therapy. I am very excited that its touch so many people and many of these strangers have now become my friends, and I love having these new people in my life.

So maybe strangers can become friends, friends who truly understand what is going on in ones life. I really feel that anyone suffering from any mental condition can find someway to help "ease" the situation. In no way am I saying  it is a cure. What I am saying is that, whether its through being on medications, going to therapy, speaking to friends, or speaking to "strangers" you can begin to understand, you are not alone. You never will be, there are so many people struggling out there and all they need is a "friend" or "stranger".

I hope this helps. I wish you all the happiest in the world. Thank you for reading my blog. Again, please feel free to find me on Facebook as I know many of you have already have found me. My name is Katie Quinn , my e-mail is katiequinn20@yahoo.com. Please feel free to contact me at anytime day or night. I am a "stranger" that does care.

Thank you all.

Katie Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment